Tuesday 15 May 2012

My Love for Photography


Photo of Me taken in 2008 by my daughter when she was 6 years of age
It's amazing what a simple photo can tell you, or even a dramatic one at that. The look on a persons face to natures beauty, there's a story being told in that instant moment of time when a photo is taken. My father bought my very first camera at the age of 14 years and I've been taking photos ever since then. I studied photography in my final year of High School as a Bursary subject in Arts and came away with a B+ result.

My main subject was of the diverse hairstyles during the mid 80's onwards and my goodness were there a whole lot of different hairstyles back then, from the crew cut, the bob and the higher the Bob the more popular you were at school to the french platts for girls with very long hair, to the mullet. I must admit I quite liked the mullet and thought how funny it was when hair professionals brought it back into style in 2006-07, a much nicer cut and style than in the 80's.

I then later took an interest in landscape photography as in New Zealand we are literally surrounded with landscape beauty. I'd never had to edit any of my New Zealand landscape photos as I found that the richness in colour was naturally there, it was just waiting patiently for that perfect natural lighting.

I started taking up the roll as the family and friends photographer for weddings and other special occassions and loved it. It was my comfort zone, being around people I loved and who appreciated my work as an artist. I would even create memory discs, print off their photos as a gift from me to them. I just love going through photos and seeing the expressions on peoples faces. Its halerious when I take photos of people, they always ask to view it, incase they have a funny eye, I suppose.

I just have a love for photos' and my influence was my grandmother. I was named after her and so I guess I inherit a lot of her attributes. Every year without a miss, she would organise for the Local Photographer to come around home and take a Family Portrait of us. I loved it when it was that time of the year because I knew I would be getting a new dress. We would sit prim and proper waiting for the photographer to say "Cheese" I would give the biggest smile, not unless I had a few teeth missing in the front...lol!. I would look at myself in the mirror practicing my smiles and so on, it was funny.

I love Photography and this ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment